Thursday 29 November 2012

DIY Christmas Gift: Candy Cane Bath Salts

So I have discovered a completely gorgeous DIY Christmas gift idea for this year.

I come from such a huge family that, for the adults at least, the rule is the present has to be under £5 or homemade. To keep things interesting, most people handmake their presents. We get an array of truffles, potpourri, lip balm and knitwear...but we've never had bath salts!

So it's dead easy.

You will need:
Salt - any type you like, but coarse sea salt I find the best. Amount depends on how big your jars are
1⁄2 teaspoon glycerin
Peppermint essential oil
Red food colouring
Jam jars - washed and dry
Candy canes - for decorating, optional
Card, ribbon and tags (again, optional)
 
Basically, mix it all together (minus the red food colouring, wait a bit for that) then split the mixture into two bowls. NOW add the red food colouring to one of the bowls. When tipping it into the jars, you can use a funnel but I'm not fancy like that, so I just rolled up some paper into a cone. You want to layer the mixture white, then red, then white, then red etc.
 
I like to use different sized and shaped jars, I just feel it looks all home-madey and rustic. Now just wrap some ribbon round, add a candy cane if you like and voila, under £5 AND homemade.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment